Monday, November 28, 2011

!!!THANKSGIV........just another week in the beautiful NICARAGUA!


Alli and another sister from the states





Thanksgiving Dinner



Hola hola everyone! I hope you guys all had a lovely thanksgiving. We had a great week here in Esteli. We had changes this week! Not gonna lie, it feels pretty great to not be the newest gringa anymore. FWA HAHAHA. Thats right, there is officially someone that speaks worse spanish than me. IT IS POSSIBLE. ¡tuanis! This week we did alot of contacting. We found this guy named Ignasio (NACHO) JUST LIKE THE MOVIE. how cool is that right? Not gonna lie, as I walked away i turned around and yelled "Adios NACCCCHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" it took me back. Anyways, about this guy. He has been taught by missionaries like 4 times. The problem here is that He is trying to learn english. and he speaks pretty good, so i was talking with him in English like-Do you know that this church is true? And he was like-yeah, i do. And so i got real excited and i was like-dude then why are you not baptized?? And he was like--The missionaries never taught me English.----wait, what? what on earth does that have to do with you getting baptized? Then he explained-The missionaries came and taught me about the church or whatever, but how is that going to bless my life. If you want to help me, teach me english. The missionaries always said they were going to, but they never did. That is why I am not a member. If the people cant keep their word and teach me english then they dont have the authority to teach church either." I kinda machetied him alot. I was like "I am a missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am not here to teach you english. I am here to teach you the gospel of Jesus Christ. That knowledge will bless your life, and the lives of your family infinitely more than english will. Do you think people in America are always happy? Do you think life is so much better there than here? I am here to tell you it is not. You can be happy here, and the way to that happiness is through making and keeping promises with Heavenly Father. If you know the church is true, then you should be baptized. That is the first step to happiness." That seemed to do the trick. We will be going back to teach tonight. I´ll keep ya´ll posted. ;D Yesterday was kinda a cool day too. For primary we watched the video of when nephi had to return to get the gold plates. and there is a scene right after Lehi recieves revelation that they need to leave jerusalem and he goes and shakes Nephi to wake him up. Okay, this scene made me super trunky. It like slapped me in the face with memories. I immedietly thought of October 5th of last year, when Dad woke up and found mom in like a coma-ish state (when the funk hit the fan) and then He immedietly came and woke me up. Okkkkay...thats enough--needless to say i was kinda sad yesterday. So i was praying alot. ´Father, please help me to be happy. Help us to find a family to teach so i can have someone else to focus on.´ So then we went to work. We were tracting for like an hour and a half and it was just meeting and saying goodbye to people. No one was interested. BUT THEN. :D We walked up to this house and we could just hear a husband and wife fighting, but the spirit told me to knock anyways. So we did. and The husband, Ceaser, came to the door like "oh, come on in hermanas." and we were totally shocked. You know who we are? and he was like- Yeah, youve been here before.... --Fun fact, WE HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THAT HOUSE. Ruiz didnt even know that this street was part of our area. How crazy is that right? after talking with them for a bit we found out that like a year ago some sisters had contacted there--but they recognized us as those missionaries. How wierd right? So we talked with Ceaser and his wife Dora and ugh! they are just great people. vamos a poner un fecha tan pronto. oh crap, i dont know how to say that in english. lets see here. we are going to ask a date soon? like ask them to be baptized soon? we are going to put a date soon? i dont know. I am way excited about them though. Happy thanksgiving! Not gonna lie, Thanksgiving in Nicaragua--nothing to write home about. HAHA! oh man i crack myself up.---I just went to a planning meeting, and then hermana Atkisson rushed in and was like "BARRETT!!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!" I had totally forgotten. after she told me though i was yet again trunky. i think that is going to happen alot in the next month. another thing that me puse trunky was when i heard that song "baby i love your way" by Peter Frampton. such a good song. aaaaaanyways. im sending a picture of my riquisimo thanksgiving dinner (Gullo-pinto, huevos y un tortilla) and the other is of me and Hermana Arredondo (My amazing mission president´s wife.) UGH! SHE IS SO COOL! Something i was studying this week is virtue. Let garnish thy thoughts unceasingly. Ive heard it a million times. Its so wierd how the mission like makes thing make sense. I love D&C 121: 45 and expecially 46. here she is:
45 Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.
46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.
Look at that. The holy ghost with be with you always AND WITHOUT EFFORT IT WILL JUST FLOW UNTO YOU FOREVER. I was thinking-do you think president Monson has to fight and struggle to feel the spirit? no. I am sure he has learned this characteristic of christ. this is something i will be working on the rest of my mission. trying to focus on virtuous thoughts. and also following the spirit. I heard an amazing talk from President Bednar when i was in the mtc. He said "the number one question i get asked by members is: How do i know when i recieve promptings from the spirit, or if it is just my own thoughts?--My answer will probably suprise you---QUIT WORRYING ABOUT IT. Be a good boy-be a good girl. Keep your commandments and Heavenly Father will lead you where you need to be." I thought that was so super cool. I hope that we can all be a little more virtous this week!
I sure love you all!
Hermana Barrett

No comments:

Post a Comment