Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Guatamala- Week 3

Hola Family!!





Not a very eventful week in Guatemala......just 5 earthquakes, someone has worms, and i got to go into the city for some shopping today. (!!!!)

First things first! Earthquake!!! At the CCM, we just had "tremors" but i tell you what--it was freaky!!! we were all just sitting in class and all of the sudden the room started shaking. Sounds stupid right? you know what an earthquake is. It just lasted a few seconds, but that was enough for me! we all just stopped talking and held onto our desks and watched each other wide eyed and the windows and watched everything shake. CRAZY!! then like half an hour later--it happened again? and then like 2 hours later it happened again when we were at lunch, and then at 10:30 while we were praying as sisters another little one happened. Everyone is fine here though. We all thought it was way cool and then we heard that 3 people died in Guatemala. So sad! But don't you worry, Everyone here is great. There are only 4 sisters at the CCM right now because all of our latinas left! It was so sad! My companiera wrote me a long letter and it looks really nice, but it is totally in Spanish, so I cant read it. Not gonna lie, this week has been an eye opener. turns out I really don't know Spanish. I have alot of work to do, and just 3 weeks to do it in! Time is flyin.
Segundo--Worms. Luckily I do not have worms. A few Elders do (and no one knows what from) but nope, I am good. We asked the Doctor how we can like avoid those fun-loving creatures, but the Dr. was like-"oh, everyone here has parasites by now. If you eat here, you have little friends." Awesome. I have enough friends. :) It is crazy to think about right??
Shopping today was SO fun!!! we went to an underground mercado and it was alot like the stores in Cabo, but much much cleaner like morality wise, and i bought a way cool dress and a jersey and such. Then after that we went to a way cool mayan museum and studied up on the people here before. We went to a huge relief map that was made like a hundred years ago and is 99% accurate. it was SO cool. Then at the museum they just had tons of amazing artifacts and paintings and statues and obsidian, it was amazing. Then we went to a mall that is nicer than any I've been to in Utah. It was like a new york mall. Amazing. I felt really out of place. I didn't think about it before so i just braided my hair this morning and wore one of those shirts Jodi got me (Remember how i had 4 of them and then only brought 2 because they are not the most attractive things? they are my favorite to wear. all of my companions are so jealous that i have them cuz they are so cute and easy out here!!) Anyways, i looked totally amish to all of the rich people at the mall. Oh well.
So, I am so so grateful that i probably wont have a car in Nicaragua. The roads are terrifying here!! Did you know that there is special motorcycle lane here? it is in between every other car. People are just driving so fast and running lights and just trying to get where they are going in the quickest time possible--scary!! I have never been so grateful for law enforcement. Crazy Nazi Nibley Cop, you keep doing your job, Ma'am.
Man, I am so tired! The work is hard, but i love it. (and I haven't even gotten to the field yet!) Have i told you about my amazing teachers here yet?? I think not. In the morning we have hermana Cruz, the afternoon Hermano Vasquez, and at night Hermana Alvarez. They are all so awesome. I think I've told you before, but there are a different breed of saints down here. Everyone who is a member is because they absolutely know its true, without a shadow of a doubt. I feel extremely blessed to be one of the 4 Norte sisters here partake of this awesomeness! Oh, have i told you that i havent met anyone going to my mission yet? I am hoping that there will be some in the group of newbies coming tomorrow. There are for sure no other Nortes going there though, because transfers are in 3 weeks, so i am just with latinos. Perfect! (Seriously, I cant believe how lucky i am!!) I love my district, i love the people, the food is still pretty good, and I hope you are all doing great. I love you each and i think i will be able to check your emails tomorrow, so keep me posted! I want to hear about your lives! Also, can you send me some pictures in your emails? Like Chelsey especially?? I've gotta see my little sobrina!! (Neice en espaƱol--I know her name!) Welp, Back to work! Smile! Love you all--Hermana Barrett

No comments:

Post a Comment