Thursday, September 15, 2011

Guatamala- Week 2

Hola everyone!!! Whats crackalackin?? (i taught my latina companion how to say that and then barely caught her before she said that to the CCM president) oops! Man! This week was great. Everyweek is great in Guatemala. It was a bit harder though. Um we went tracting yesterday and it was SO HARD. "I dont think thats the language they taught me in the MTC!" They talk SO FAST!!! it was way hard. a very humbling experience. Lucky our leaders foresaw this and so they put us with our latina companions. Hermana Trochez as amazing! giving out pamphlets left and right closely followed by heartfelt testimonies! it was awesome. Not gonna lie, i was a bit discouraged. But then we came home and for the devotional last night we got to watch a talk from the MTC where Elder Bednar came and spoke. it was so amazing! He finished up by getting choked up and very seriously saying: You CAN do this. As an apostle of the Lord, i promise you that with his help, you can do this. So! now im feelin much better. Today I am feeling extremely blessed to be a Norte Sister here. Did i tell you that there are only 10 North american sisters in the whole CCM? And i get to be one of them. How blessed am I right? Our real investigator didnt show up last saturday-but we have hope for this Saturday! Oh, and i was sick on Monday. I went to breakfast and then i was like, woah...i need to lie down. and then i slept until 9:30 pm and then woke up for an hour, and then slept for the night. Wierd right? Im fine though. I guess I was just really tired! :) dont worry-seriously, Im great today! Want to know what Ive been thinking about all day? I will tell you. :) You know that song "If the Savior Stood beside me"? I have been thinking about it non stop. I realized that today that a representative of the Savior is literally beside me every moment of every day. Am I doing everything i can to act the way i should? I have some work to do! Remember how i like extremely love music. It has been a challenge. I always have a song in my head.And all the sudden i need to transition them to church songs. Its a challenge! CAN YOU BELIEVE IVE BEEN OUT TWO MONTHS ALREADY?? I sure cant. I remember Jodi told me that is what would happen. It would seem like i had forever and a day and then I would be out for 2 months in a snap. I hope my whole mission doesnt go this fast! Okay, so let me tell you about tracting in Guatemala. We all ran across the street and got on this way ghetto bus. I thought i was going to die. Like there were like WAY too many people on this bus (Personal space? what personal space??) and there were people hanging off the sides and everything, it was crazy. . Anyways, we head off on this jet powered bus (Speed limit?? Autobahn baby! How fast can you get there?) and then we finally get off in this little plaza and so we started off tracting and there was just garbage everywhere on the street and the people are all in dirty old clothes and are trying to sell you things, but hey, its a good way to start talking eh? The people are so poor here. They are so nice though! They will be working or whatever and you just walk up and they will stop and talk to you and share their feelings with you (complete stranger here) and UGH! i just love the people so much. I am so excited to get to know all the cute little Nica´s!! Anyways, then we wondered around for like 2 hours and i got so totally lost (again, luckily my latina companion was with me) and we finally found our way and then took the trip back. Im not sure why, but on the trip back we couldnt just get on the bus where we got off, so we had to walk all through town and like down this highway that didnt have a sidewalk and stuff. It looked really cool though! cuz it wasnt just me and my companiara, it was like 3 districts, so we were all walking down this highway single file and it stretched off for a long space of just missionaries. it was really cool. OH! another thing. Everyone has guns here! there are just guards out front of every building holding shotguns and just standing with their hands on their pistols. Kinda scary. They are really nice though. As we were walking through the city looking for our bus stop, i walked past a guard with a huge double barrel shotgun around his shoulders and he had one hand on his gun and the other hand was holding a "el evangelio de Jesucristo" folletto! (A gospel of Jesus Christ pamphlet) It was so funny. If i didnt think he would shoot me i would have taken a picture. I hope ya´ll arent getting nervous because I am perfectly safe. I am following all of the mission rules and I have the Lord on my side. What could happen?!? (I´ll be careful. Dad, I can just hear you cringing) I¨m fine!!! I am just super duper grateful to be a sister missionary in central America. Life is great! Guys!! good job on the emails this week! i so appreciated them!!
Whitney!!! Congrats on your new job! so exciting!! (I had to skim over your emails because i had like 7 and no time!!)
Chelsey!! OH MY GOSH---CRAWLING?!! push her down! I need to be there! Totally kidding. THE OTHER THING YOU TOLD ME MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD!!!
Dad Thanks for the emails! I hope yall arent feeling bad that i dont write, but lets face it, im feelin pretty lazy. Emails are sufficient right??

Maddy--How come you havent even emailed me?!?! QUE PASA MUFASA?! I sure love you--smile a ton for me!!

I love you guys! thanks for the support and love, Im feelin it! Love, Hermana Barrett

No comments:

Post a Comment