Monday, February 27, 2012

My Purpose

Buenas Tardes Amigos y Familiares!
What a week we had in Jinotega! I am just going to jump right into the story. okay so we had a fecha with a family to complete named Julio (member) and his wife Iris (investigator). So we have had 2 different dates with her to get baptized. The latest was yesterday. She didnt do it before because she felt like she never got her answer. So We went last friday with the ZLs and she finally got her baptismal interview. and she signed the paper and everything, but then she told the ZL that she would tell us tomorrow if she was going to get baptized on saturday or sunday. (sunday being yesterday) so then we went back saturday morning and she was just like straight up-I am not going to get baptized. Why not? Because i like my church. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true church, but i like my church. (She has been Catholic her whole life) Man, heartbreaking after You get all excited for a baptism.
Anyways so we went back on Saturday night and we watched the amazing movie "together forever" and we felt the spirit really strong, so we asked her "do you think you have really done your part to know if you should get baptized tomorrow or not? have you prayed?" and she was like, honestly no. so we all got down on our knees and she prayed aloud. But she said- "Heavenly Father, please help me find your way." and then we just stayed on our knees and asked her--so, will you be baptized tomorrow? and she was like -no, i like my church. And then we said okay, Is it alright if we pray again? but this time you have got to be really direct with God. Direct Question-Direct Results. and she refused to pray again. But then her husband Julio came to the rescue! He prayed aloud for her "Heavenly Father, Please open the heart of my Wife. Help her to feel her answer." And then Iris just began to pray. Her prayer was just Direct and simple, but obviously sincere. She prayed "Father, Should I get baptized tomorrow?" And then we asked her...how do you feel? And she got all misty eyed and just said... "I dont know how to describe it. I felt an energy...a cool energy throughout my whole body." and then we said "So will you be baptized tomorrow?" "yes." Why are you going to do it? "Because I know its true. I know its what i should do." Man, what an extremely espiritual experience! In that moment I remembered why I came on a mission. Because I know its true too. It gave me such great Joy to help her come to that knowldege. It reminds me of Alma 17: 16 "Therefore, this was the acause for which the sons of Mosiah had undertaken the work, that perhaps they might bring them unto repentance; that perhaps they might bring them to know of the plan of redemption." This is the whole reason Im here. To help people come unto Christ.

So, i left her house that night as a happy missionary.

Then the next morning, yesterday morning, we returned to walk with them to church.......AND THEY WERENT THERE. Thats right! She hid. Julio`s brother answered the door and told us she was at her moms house.... so then we went to her moms house and her brother answered the door and told us she was at Julio`s house. Dagger to the heart. How quick we are to forget the things of God, huh? By this time, it was 8:50, and we had to go to church without them. So we were sitting in sacrament meeting, and all the sudden Rodriguez looked at me, and i looked at her, and then we just stood up and left. (We took the sacrament) We went back to Julios house, and then back to her Moms house, and then her mother told us that she went to Mass. So then, as the good little sister missionaries we are, we went to mass too. (This cathedral is amazing, Ill send pictures i took today) Man, there is such a different feeling in a cathedral than in a chapel! It was my first time at mass.... I will not be going back. It was just super uncomfortable for me...I did not feel the spirit there, and i just could not feel calm there. It might have been the nametag and the people who i had contacted before staring at me. but whatever.. it was an experience. Anyways, Iris`s mom was lying too, becuase she wasnt there. We still havent found her to find out what happened.

How sad though huh? One of the best experiences in my mission quickly turned to me being a bit bummed. But, I can still remember how that felt. I am so grateful for the little reminder of my purpose as a missionary. Thanks Iris.

Okay, So my pictures today. Cathedral... the outside, the inside, and then me flashin my nametag in the doorway... and then Chicha..
This is Elder Humphries drinking his least favorite drink "Chicha" He was just like "Okay, I am just going to down it! Im going for it!" And so i was like-Alright Ill take a picture of your extreme courage! So i took a picture of him drinking and then all the sudden Rodriguez grabbed the drink out of his hand. Good Eye Rodriguez. There was totally a living worm in his chicha. I dont know what kind...but IT WAS ALIVE!!! We will be changing food citas here pronto. Hahaha. Good times in Nicaragua. Well, I love you all! Take care of yourselves!-Hermana Barrett

No comments:

Post a Comment